Sunday 30 January 2011

Super heroes on the cheap!

Liam and Samuel are obsessed with super heroes. What three and almost five year old (in less than 12 hours) isn't?! Well, I decided I was going to do something so cool  for Liam's birthday. I was going to make capes and masks for everyone so they could all be supers. Did I mention, I made this decision on Friday afternoon and his friends were coming over on Sunday afternoon? We were expecting 16 to 20 kiddos between 2 and 6. Holy cow! What was I thinking?

Anyhoo...I was determined to make this "super hero" thing happen. I mentioned it to my amazing neighbor Lorri who had already lent me her ginormous cake pan and allowed me to raid her fridge. She then produced a pack of party masks.
So, here was my brilliant idea. I was going to cover these masks in adhesive felt in "super hero" colors.

I traced and I cut.

Behold! The finished product! Easy peasy. Now on to the capes.

I cut out rectangles, six per yard in black and pink (because not all supers are boys!). I then folded the top of the fabric down 1 inch and pressed. No, I did not finish the edges. Call me lazy, but we are talking about preschoolers here and cutting and sewing about 20 of these suckers.

Sew baby! Sew!

I had a ton of 1/4 inch ribbon so I cut it into 20 inch pieces. I then took a safety pin and feed it thru the channel I created with my seam. (Pardon my hands. They don't seem to care for Korean winters or doing dishes.)

This is the back of the cape. I cut a lightening bolt design out of adhesive felt. I pressed it to the fabric and then sewed it in place with a zigzag stitch.

Ze front...

Ze back...

Ze end!
Until next time,
Lisa

1 comment: