Monday 17 January 2011

A little spring infusion



So, it's been incredibly cold here in Korea. We've had single digit temperatures and minus windchills. I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever and keeping these little boys indoors is enough to take a mom right over the edge! I needed a little "pick me up" and thought I would share some photos of a really great place to kick those winter time blues in the bottom.

My friend Heidi took me to a wonderful wholesale flower market last summer. If you are on the peninsula and want coordinates, I'm sure I can get them for you!
This orchid was incredible! It reminded me of an angel.


This was just a sampling of the orchids. There was a greenhouse the length of a football field full of them!


 
This fountain display reminded me of a scene from Avatar.



There were several greenhouses full of any kind of plant imaginable. It felt as if you could walk forever and never reach the end of the building. A friend once told me that to Koreans, "it's not done until it's overdone". If you have been here, you totally understand.


We finally made it out of the greenhouses and crossed the street heading toward an industrial looking two story building. Heidi told me this was where we would find all of the fresh cut flowers. Now, Korea is full of lots of smells in the summer time. Many are quite unpleasant. As soon as you walk in the double doors of this building your nose is immediately overwhelmed by the most amazing smell of millions of flowers and it hits you like a brick wall. Roses, mums, daisies, eucalyptus! They had any and every type of fresh flower you could ever want.  It was so unexpected. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect. I''d never seen anything like it!






Mums anyone?


Have you ever seen roses stacked like this?
 The second floor of this building was where you would go to buy things like ribbon, vases, artificial flowers, and gift items.  This was also where you would go to have floral arrangements done.



So much talent!
There was so much of everything floral that I ended up leaving with very little and I haven't been back since.  I have to make at least one more trip before we move this summer or I know I'll kick myself.

Are you ready for spring now?! I know I am!

Until next time,
Lisa

1 comment: