Thursday 10 February 2011

Fabric! Lots and lots of fabric!

Bolts and bolts and yards and yard of beautiful fabric! That's what Happy Quilt is made of. And boy does a trip there make me happy! Last year, a very creative friend who happens to be a fantastic photographer and seamstress(see her creations here), introduced me to this amazing place.



I've been behaving myself and trying to use up the material I had but today I decided I needed some fresh inspiration. It was a great day to go. Lots of new designs I hadn't seen. I seem to be drawn to Riley Blake fabric designs seen here. Just about everything I picked up was Riley Blake and a shade of orange. I guess I'm in need of some color to pull me out of this long winter.
Posted by Picasa
I spent a joyous hour wandering around and taking it all in. It was 20 degrees farenheit outside and probably 15 inside but I would not be deterred. (For those of you outside of my Korean bubble who don't know, Happy Quilt is a huge warehouse with cement floors and no heat aside from a few heaters in the back of the store for the workers.) I wore running shoes and I promise you, it took at least an hour and a half for my feet to thaw.

This is some of what I came home with...


Washed, pressed, and ready for action. Stay tuned. This is going to be fun!

Until next time,
Lisa

4 comments:

  1. Hi, just found your blog through google. What city is this fabric shop in? And how are the prices? Was it mostly quilting cotton or did they have other types of fabric, too? I live in Seoul and am always curious to see what's available in other parts of Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fabric envy! But my problem is that I have loads of fabric and no time to actually get projects compeleted! Between the baby trying to teeth on the foot pedal of my sewing machine to the constant interruption for more milk, fruit roll-ups, etc... is it bad that I want a baby sitter just so that I can *complete* one craft project :)
    Oh, and if you find any lovely paisley fabric -- think of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Choco Pie, it's in Pyongtaek. I can get the coordinates for you if you are interested. They have mostly quilting material but also flannels and uhpolstery fabric. The prices are good. Everything is 3-4000 won a yard. I'm envious of you being able to shop in Seoul. Maybe we could meet sometime and you could give me a tour of the markets. We leave Korea this summer. I want to make a trip up before we go to stock up on notions.
    Cami, would you like me to send a mystery box of paisleys?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa, sorry I lost track of your blog and just found it again today. You can contact me through my blog if you're coming to Seoul and want some company checking out Dongdaemun. I'm not an expert by any means (still get lost there every time I go!) but it's fun and I go pretty often, so just let me know.

    ReplyDelete